24 September, 2009

A quick tune up

While waiting for the new parts, I decided to do a quick once over on the engine. I decided to replace the plugs and plug wires. I was cleaning up the distributor and I discovered the original distributor had a vacuum leak in the advance, so off I went to the bus part store to replace this with a nice centripetal advance model. I disassembled the carb and cleaned it very thoroughly. I replaced the fuel lines and the plastic fuel filter with a nice metal one. I understand engine fires on buses are not uncommon and I didn’t want to take any chances in that department.
Once the tune up was completed, it ran better, but still missed on one cylinder. I decided the valves probably needed to be adjusted. Well, I did find one valve that was too tight, but that wasn’t the problem. I found that one of the head nuts had worked itself off its stud and was lying in the bottom of the valve cover next to its washer! I re-installed the nut and snugged it up a bit and I decided to check the other three nuts I could easily get to. I found them to be way too loose. I snugged them as well and re-assembled the engine. Now I am very suspicious of the engine and I will need to pull it out at some point and check all the Assy. to be sure nothing is left off, or loose. The engine is running great now. I won’t drive it far, but it sure runs great. Lots of power, quiet and smooth. I wish my dune buggy ran that well.

1 comment:

  1. Excuse me I have a 1971 and am having trouble know which wires go to the generator and vr is there any chance you could help

    ReplyDelete