25 September, 2009

Batery Box Area Preservation

Having read a lot about the battery box area rusting out in these busses, I wanted to try to keep this spot as protected as possible.  One of the main reasons the battery box rusts out is that when you wash the bus, or drive it in the rain, water enters the vents on the top of the rear panels.  This water makes it’s way down to the engine compartment and lands on top of the battery where it picks up any acid residue laying around and washes acidic water into the battery tray.  My solution was to put the battery in a marine battery box.  The next problem was to work out a nifty way to strap down the box.  I used a pair of seat belt adjusters I had laying around and I mounted them to the bus sheet metal by drilling a couple of holes.  I then used a tie down strap to hold the whole contraption in place.  I will need to add a filler block that goes between the battery box top and the battery, so the strap will hold the battery tight.  A loose battery is a battery that is headed for the recycler soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment