24 September, 2009

Brakes are done

The brake parts showed up and a couple of days of crawling around under the bus found me with a brand new set of brakes that now stop excellent. It is a really good feeling to know it is going to stop when you need it to. After the brake job, I expected the brake lights to start working. Still nothing. I ended up replacing the tail light assemblies with all new parts. Still nothing. With the engine compartment completely re-wired, I headed up front to figure out what was amiss. Turns out there was a blown fuse. I replaced the fuse and it blew right away. What is going on? I removed the fuse block and sure enough, there was forty years of creative wiring behind there. Well, someone had hooked up the rear window defroster to the brake fuse. No big deal, but the wire from the defroster was disconnected from the switch. It turn out that the defroster switch has gone bad and the hot lead is shorted to ground. I disconnected this lead and replaced the fuse and like magic; brake lights.

No comments:

Post a Comment