28 September, 2009

First real ride in the bus!

I took the bus for a ride or two this weekend.  I even ran a few errands.  It was lot of fun.  Peoples reactions to an old bus are very interesting.  Smiles, waves, even a bunch of teen age kids in a Jetta honking, and flipping me peace signs!  Very cool.
It started out a bit rough.  I went to leave home and it quit in the driveway!  wouldn't start again.  Acted like it was out of gas.  Very strange.  I removed the air cleaner, held a mirror over the carburetor and moved the throttle to see if the accelerator pump was working; nothing.  I removed the carb and found the float bowl to be empty?  Strange, I checked the fuel / float inlet valve and it was stuck closed.  I cleaned and blew and cleaned and it was still sticking.  I replaced it with a new one from an old rebuild kit I had laying around and it didn't stick any more.  I reassembled everything and it fired right up.  I ended up driving it about 20 miles.  Lovin every minute of it.  A nice day, windows down, bussin around town.
Lets see, what next.  I think I should pull the engine and start checking the torques and thoroughness of that last rebuild.  I can't stop thinking about that loose head nut laying in the valve cover.  This will give me a chance to clean and paint the engine compartment while the weather is still decent as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment