29 April, 2010

Spring has sprung


The weather is getting nice, the trees and flowers are blooming and the bus is rolling down the road!  Lots of fun to be sure.  I have driven the bus a couple of hundred miles over the last two weeks.  It has been running excellent.  I have 70 little rattles, and two big ones lefts to work out.  The reaction of people is priceless.  Lots of smiles, many waves, several peace signs, and a few questions from parking lot on-lookers. " Are you a Hippy?"  How long were you a Hippy?" "Do you live in it?"  Lots of fun.  I am really looking forward to getting it painted.
I received my new rear window seal from Wolfsburg west a couple of days ago.  I am hoping to install that soon. 

I made up the curtain tie backs last week.  I used some pieces of scrap leather and cut it into strips.  I attached them to the body steel with snaps so they can be easily be released so the curtains can be closed.



I spent some time adjusting the steering box.  I have concluded it is just plain screwed up.  They are a weak link I understand.  I can buy a re-manufactured one for $350 or so.  I cant imagine that there isnt a way to re-do a few parts inside to improve the function.  It isn't a show stopper, I can drive it without fixing it, it is just a bit more work, you have to "drive it" all the time, the steering slop increases the driver work load imensly.  The next thing that has to go in, is a cup holder!  I didn't realize how much I miss a cup holder until it's gone.

So far, so good.  I am very happy with the way the bus is running.  My confidence in it's reliability is getting higher every day.  I still need to add a fire extinguisher as well.
I have started work on a wood panel for the electrical outlets under the table, and I have a flip out table/storage rack in process for the back of the passengers seat.  Pics to come soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment