07 April, 2010

Blog Title?

Several people have asked me about the title of this blog.  Specifically, What is a Bulli?  Were you a Bulli?  Nooooo, little guys can't be Bullies!  Well, one of the guys I work with; a very talented German industrial designer, and a V-dub fan, took an interest in my bus.  He would ask me at times, "Hey, hows the bulli coming along"?  I thought, maybe I can't hear well, so I just said, It's doing great...  After about the third time, I asked him; Arne, are you saying Bulli?  He said, "yes, it's an affectionate German slang term for a VW bus.  I thought that was a pretty spiffy name, so I started using it.  Thanks Arne!

1 comment:

  1. As far as I know Bulli is a shortening of "Bus und Lieferwagen" ie. Bus and delivery van. I don't know how true this is as I have only heard it on several news reports out of the 2007 60 Year Bus Treffen in Hannover.

    It sort of makes sense as the German language is full of this sort of thing.

    Very nice job on the Westfalia. I've just purchased a '71 tin top and am currently reviving the interior.

    cheers

    ReplyDelete