07 May, 2010

Seat Back Table

My bus was missing the sink cabinet when I bought it, but it has the little flip out table that mounted to the side of the sink cabinet.  I decided for now to mount the flip out table to the back of the passenger seat, that way I would have an extra table when I wanted, but I wouldn't lose the space required for a full sink cabinet (I am sure I will build the sink cabinet someday!)  I held it up and measured and adjusted, and then concluded that the original table was messed up enough to necessitate making a new one. The original had been cut and patched a few times over the years and just wasn't complete enough to mount in.   I made the new one from 3/4" (19mm) birch plywood.  I used the original hardware and just cut out the new parts, glued them up and stained and varnished them to match (close).  I then bolted the table to the seat back with 1/4 - 20 bolts.  I did this by inserting brass threaded inserts into the edged of the plywood.  They hold great and are really easy to install.  I need to add a catch soon, but it's basically complete.





After looking at the flip out table for a while, I decided that I really should cover the table top with a laminate to match the dining table.  I can't find the OG laminate pattern, so I think I will just re-cover the dining table as well.  If I am going to go through that, I should just make a new table for the dining area and leave the edges of the plywood exposed like the flip up table.  Off to the laminate store!



I did get the wood "kick panel" sanded, stained and varnished for the table area.  I installed the electrical outlets in this piece, using the original steel electrical enclosure as an electrical box.  Pretty easy to do.  I now have a four outlet box instead of a two.  I gave up the GFI for now, I think I will use an old 110v hot tub cord I have that has the GFI built right in the cord.  should solve that problem nicely.




I was playing around with the bumpers a few days ago, There were several dents and buckles from encounters of with unknown foe from times past.  I removed the bumpers in hopes of hammering out some of the minor dents and creases.  I noticed the bumper over-riders just un-bolt from the bumpers.  I took them off, hammered out most of the dents in the original bumpers and painted them bright white.  I re-installed the bumpers with all new bolts but without the over-riders and I think I like it better.  Guess I will have to drive it around for a while to see if it grows on me.


Another thing I have been thinking about is the color I will paint the exterior.  I have gone round and round on this so many times, I must be nuts!  I have made the decision!  I am going with the "Seafoam Green"  The only thing affected (so far) by that decision is the curtains.  I headed off tot he fabric store and found some curtain material that will be a bit better with the green than the bule ones I just made.  I have half of them made so far, they are quite easy once you have it figured out.  The only hard one to do is the curtain behind the wardrobe.  I will need to take lots of seats and parts out to replace that one.  Oh well, its painful to be indecisive.

2 comments:

  1. Nice work as usual. Given that there is no sink I was curious as to what you have done about the hole in the roof for the drain ventilation. Or did this bus not have that?

    cheers

    Greg

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry for the late reply, I just noticed there was a comment on this post. I made a piece of sheet metal (galvanized) that was about one inch larger than the hole in the floor the plumbing once used. I laid down a piece of foam and some sealant and screwed the plate in place over the hole. This made a water tight seal. I then laid the plywood underlayment over that and carpeted over like the hole was never there. If I decide to install a sink someday, I can remove the screws and pry off the metal cover. Should work fine. (I hope!)

    ReplyDelete