23 August, 2010

Lower Brake Fluid Reservoir Leaking.... Again

Ever since I installed the new master cylinder last fall, I have had a small leak at the seals where the lower brake fluid reservoir attaches to the master cylinder.  This leak would drain the upper reservoir over a two or three week period or so.  not a big problem, just not right.  I decided to fix it.  I pulled off the hose form the upper reservoir, (1/2" heater hose which has been working very well) and drained the brake fluid into a drain pan.  Next I pulled the lower reservoir loose from the master cylinder and caught as much fluid as I could.  After looking the seals over, I could see the leaking seal was messed up a bit.  It was new with the master cylinder, but it was chewed up.  I decided to pull off the master cylinder.  I cleaned things up, wiped it all down with lacquer thinner, and applied a bit of black silicone sealer to the rubber parts and the then to the upper reservoir to "encourage" a better seal.  After reinstalling the upper reservoir, I can see how this might not have been fully seated.  It's a bit tricky to get all the way down in.  I think the silicone will help with this.  I am pretty sure it is seated now.  I reinstalled everything but the hose to the upper reservoir.  This kept any brake fluid out of the lower reservoir and away from the silicone until it dried.  I left it sit for about 3-4 hours.  I topped it off and  then bled the brakes again.  Everything seems to be working well, I checked this morning and no drips.  No wet spots on the bottom of the master cylinder, so far things look good.  Only time will tell if my "patch" was successful.  After this fiddling around, I took it for a ride last night.  Driving the bus is always a good time.  At least a dozen peace signs were exchanged.  There is just something about these crazy old buses.

No comments:

Post a Comment