04 January, 2010

It's Alive!

Finally, I have the engine re-installed and it fired right up. I let it warm up for a few minutes and shut it off. After it cooled down, I adjusted the valves again (one was a bit loose and made it clatter) It sounds like a new engine. It warms up nice, blows heat, idles perfectly and seems to have a great rev-up. I can't wait to take it for a ride. It's not going to happen until the salt is gone from the roads though.


 

 


I re-installed the electrical in the rear, tail lights, backup lights, side markers, engine wiring, etc. and just generally neatened things up in the engine compartment.
As you can see in the pics, I make new lining for the insulation panels that go above the engine. I cut these from Masonite peg board from the originals which I used as patterns. I glued a thin sheet of foam on top of the panels so the assembly makes contact with the top of the steel. This cuts down on the sound transmitted to the bus interior.


 


The mechanicals are basically complete now. I am excited to get working on the interior. A nice change of scenery for sure.

1 comment: