22 March, 2010

More interior work this weekend.

It was a pretty good weekend for the bus project!  I got a chance to spend a fair amount of time working.  I started out by cutting the drivers side wall trim panel for the camper section out of the FRP material I have been using.  I sanded it a bit to smooth the edges and popped that in place.  Next I cut a piece of the FRP to trim out the area behind the spare tire.  This, traditionally, didn't have a trim piece, but it looks pretty good trimmed out!


The next project was to reinstall the Z-bed base and armrest.


On to the carpet.  I made up patterns for the 3/8" (9mm ish.) base plywood that sits over the bare floor steel out of cardboard.  I then cut out the plywood shape with my saber saw.  Test fit, adjusted and installed the sheet with about a half dozen screws.


Next was the carpet.  I just measured and cut and measured and cut till I had the piece fitting nicely into the opening.  It went pretty well.


I applied some adhesive to the edges that were not trapped under some piece of trim or cabinetry.  I set boards and weights on the carpet to let it dry in place.  I used a ceramic wall tile adhesive to hold the edges of the carpet, I will know in a day or so how it works.  I will need to work out some sort of edge treatment for the exposed edge of the carpet by the slider door.  This will get pulled back when moving things in or out of the bus.  I am leaning toward an aluminum carpet edge strip just like for the house.  They are held down with screws and look pretty good.  The edge is straight, so no curves to contend with.


After the carpet, I set the jump seat in place to see how it would look.  I haven't mounted this in yet, but that will be soon.  "There, done for the weekend!"  I went in, took a shower, and got ready to take it easy for the evening.  I sat down in front of the TV and surfed around for about 10 minutes, all the while thinking about bus sitting out there in the dark garage without it's seats installed.  The lure of the project settled in and being unable to find anything even mildly entertaining on the TV, I headed back to the garage! I thought I would just set the "Z-bed" bottom cushion in place to see how it looked, well, one thing led to another and I got the base and the seat back installed!


On to the curtains next I think.  I am going to have to start thinking about making new door panels for the front doors soon.  I had better get to ordering some clips I guess.

2 comments:

  1. Lookin Good!

    You sure do make it look easy!

    I worked all weekend getting more things back together myself (gas tank, fan shroud,...) - hope to get back on the road soon!

    Paul

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the kind words. It's easy when you are having fun. I have noticed that the second it isn't fun and it's something you have to do, it gets pretty tough. Not having to drive it to work Monday morning sure takes the edge off!

    ReplyDelete